X-Rays and Scans for Car Accident Victims

Posted .

After being involved in a car accident, your doctor may wish to run one of several different types of tests. Many of these tests are designed to help determine the type and extent of internal injuries from which you are suffering. Learning more about these different types of tests can help you to be better prepared to undergo them while also knowing what types of results to expect. To that end, here are four common types of tests that you may undergo if your doctor suspects internal injuries.


An X-ray uses low levels of radiation to make your bones visible. An x-ray may also be helpful for identifying other injuries, such as a collapses lung from a rib injury. X-rays do, however, have difficulty with revealing fresh fractures, particularly if the bone is merely cracked. 

CT Scan

A CT scan may be able to reveal fractures that cannot be identified via X-ray. A CT scan can also be helpful in identifying injuries to soft tissues and blood vessels. This is because a CT scan takes X-rays from various angels and then combines them to create images of cross-sectional slices of the body’s internal structures. 


An MRI uses radio waves and a powerful magnet to create cross-sectional images. This test is used to view the soft tissues and organs in order to determine if there has been any damage. An MRI may also be able to identify a more subtle fracture.

Bone Scan

A bone scan involves injecting a small amount of radioactive material into the bloodstream. This radioactive material then collects in the bone, particularly in the area where the bone is healing. In this way, it can be detected by the scanner. As such, bone scans are useful for viewing stress fractures, such as those that have been created by repetitive trauma. 

Contact Advanced Spine & Rehab