6 Back Injuries Commonly Associated with Car Accidents
Back injuries are extremely common for those who are involved in a car accident. While there are number of different back injuries that you might experience from a car accident, here is a look at the ones that are the most common:
• Herniated Discs: Also referred to as a bulging, slipped or ruptured disc, this injury occurs when the discs shift and compress the nerves. The injury may be treated with physical therapy or may require surgery.
• Spinal Fractures: Typically occurs when the seat belt fails to hold the body in place properly, causing the lower body to remain still as the torso and head move around.
• Spondylolisthesis: Occurs when a stress fracture forces the vertebrae to move out of
• place, resulting in compressed nerves or a compressed spinal canal. Treatment may include physical therapy or surgery.
• Spinal Cord Injury: May involve everything from simple bruising to cutting or complete severing of the spinal cord. The severity typically depends upon the force of the impact, but even low-speed car injuries can cause damage to the spinal cord and can result in permanent paralysis.
• Whiplash: Occurs when the muscles, ligaments and tissues in the neck are damaged, typically when the head and neck are propelled forward as the body stays still. Whiplash injuries frequently occur after being rear-ended in a car and may require physical therapy to heal.
For those with spinal stenosis, a car accident can also aggravate the condition and make even someone who was asymptomatic start to feel symptoms again.
If you have been involved in a car accident, regardless of the type if back injury you have experienced, contact Advanced Spine & Rehab to learn more about how we can help with your recovery process.